Wednesday, March 31, 2010

MOONLIGHT

I love moonlight - the way it brightens the earth in the middle of the night, seemingly just when you need it the most.

Not feeling well at all last night I awakened at 2:00.  Dangling my legs over the side of the bed, I saw Kelsie fast asleep bathed in a golden glow.  Her fur almost luminiscent in the moonlight from the large picture window above her bed.  She had fallen asleep with her head resting on the window sill pointing toward the moon. 

The window was cracked a bit and the grape-like fragrance of the Mountain Laurel wafted in, and with it came a sensation of one of those moments when, despite bronchitis and a sinus infection and more, perhaps all is as it should be .

I recalled romantic moonlit nights and promises, made and not kept, of futures planned and broken dreams and hearts. And I thought of our military thousands of miles away under the same moon, fighting for their lives - for our lives.

I thought of people  dying, being born, laughing, crying, evaporating and struggling under this same moon.  I felt very small.  As we grow older, the plots and journeys of our lives become more complex, our lives, just as our faith, are often defined by the journeys and mountains we must climb. And when we do reach the summit and come to the end of a frightful journey this is where we catch a glimpse of grace and gratitude and perhaps even great love.  And when we reach this summit it is no wonder we want to stay.

"Because of our own stupid choices or the pressures of others upon us, many of us find ourselves in a place far away from our dreams...there comes a time to ask God to help us come home to ourselves...to give us life again.  To look down on us and shine on us once again. There comes a time to ask Him to hear our heartfelt prayer." Peter Wallace

Perhaps the moonlight shining in my window will be the answer to my prayer.

***********************
There's a web like a spider's web
Made of silver light and shadows
Spun by the moon in my room last night
It's a web made to catch a dream
Hold it tight 'til I awaken
As if to tell me my dream is all right

Traditional Folk Song

No comments:

Post a Comment