Sunday, January 17, 2010

VAYA CON DIOS




Quite early I sit curled up in an afghan with my coffee after a most restless night. In the dark, I turn on the television to find that there is a 'cookie dough shortage!'  Now that is news!  Thousands are dead and dying in Haiti and someone thinks I should know about a potential lack of cookie dough.  I turn off the television.

The book I am holding in my lap, scribbling thoughts on is Veterans and Families Guide to Recovering from PTSD.  I think of all those in Haiti, who will survive after having been witness to horrific haunting images of death and destruction.  I think of the Post Traumatic Stress they will experience for the rest of their lives. I am saddened. Their lives will never again be the same.

Within the framework of such devastation and pain bombarding us on news networks every second of every day, it is important that we take time to find a place to pause.  A place to turn off the television and pause for yourself, for your sanity. It is easy to become flattened. You need to find, and be grateful for 'pockets of peace' - ordinary moments that become triumphs of the spirit.  Moments that sustain us in challenging times and offer dreams, plans, and adventures.  Our lives are our stories.  We often find ourselves facing the all too rough edges of life.  But it is in these moments - these 'pockets of peace' - where, if we are lucky, we find a path that may lead us to a door that reveals hope and courage.

"Fear is never a reason for quitting; it is only an excuse." Norman Vincent Peale

The fear, devastation and chaos erupting in Haiti is a message to all of us to cling close to those we truly love and sometimes,with grace and love, let go of those we have to tell goodbye, whether because of death or because it is simply time to say goodbye.

Yesterday I said good bye to a friend.  A friend who left this earth much too soon.  It was a gift of grace that the family had requested Mac's therapy dogs, Kelsie and Chase, be in attendance at the Celebration of his Life. 
As I sat in the church close to the altar with Kelsie at my feet on her blanket and Chase on his blanket, quietly snoring (and sometimes not so quietly snoring),  I was reminded of Carol Sobieski and Thomas Meehan, quote from Annie, "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard." This quotation has held me up far too many times.

Following the ceremony, a lady, with tears in her eyes and deep in her soul, approached me holding her Bible clutched to her chest.  With words unspoken, she lowered the Bible, opened it slowly and purposefully, to show me the bookmarks she had tucked inside.  One was my business card and the other a photo of Kelsie I had given her when Kelsie and I first met her in Mac's hospital room.  She told me how after we had left, Mac had told her how much he loved 'Kelsie' and 'Chase' coming to visit him.  She said he thought they were his angels.  But truth be known, today there is another angel up in heaven watching over me.

I miss you sweet friend.  You will always be in my kitchen and in my heart. Tonight I am drinking the Port you brought me! Salud!

"We have been friends together in sunshine and in shade."  ~Caroline Norton

How rare and beautiful is friendship.

********************

"Why can't we get all the people together in the world that we really like and then just stay together? I guess that wouldn't work. Someone would leave. Someone always leaves. Then we would have to say good-bye. I hate good-byes. I know what I need. I need more hellos."
~Charles M. Schulz~ Charlie Brown


"Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for a while, leave footprints on our hearts, and we are never, ever the same."
~Flavia

"To spare oneself from grief at all cost can be achieved only at the price of total detachment, which excludes the ability to experience happiness."
~Erich Fromm



To order copies of POCKETS OF PEACE, you are invited to visit:

You may order for a friend, a soldier, or anyone struggling with life's challenges.
For fears, for tears, for strength and courage!
Copies will be autographed upon request and mailed directly to the recipient.
Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Some people come into you life for to short of a time, but leave big footprints. Mac was one of those people. His kind soul and big heart will be remembered.

    Karen

    ReplyDelete