Monday, December 12, 2011

IT'S ALL ABOUT LOVE

It's all about love.

There really isn't anything else. At least nothing else that truly matters. The past two days have been tumultuous to say the least.  Tears, tears and more tears.  Some of joy, some of sorrow, some from fear, and some of disbelief at the way people treat their dogs and each other, and tears of frustration at not being able to fix things or people that need fixing. 

Last night was Penny's From Heaven Foundation's Annual Christmas/Holiday Party.  The team members, fortunate enough to attend, met two heroes, one a Military Working Dog named Hero, rescued from a shelter in Florida, and the other hero, a Marine Veteran from Montana who has been rescued by another rescue dog named Nina, who in turn has rescued him from a life of isolation and shown him there is a great big wonderful world out there and a life to be lived with her by his side.  It was a most touching evening, a moving evening, and an evening to be cherished by those who were there, as Perry, through tears, shared his feelings on what Nina means to him and his never ending gratitude to TADSAW (Train a Dog Save a Warrior) for having never given up on him and how we will all be missed so much. 

Christmas trees and lights were bright and nostalgic and the fire pit on the patio brought a warmth to a chilly evening. Good friends, good food, and good friendship. And most of all love. The real kind.

This afternoon I received a beautiful Christmas story from Elizabeth, a team member, about her dog Caius.  This too brought tears to my eyes at the miracles that occurred in a hospital when two patients, who were completely out of control, throwing things and not allowing the nurses to even enter their rooms, broke down when a PFHF German Shepherd Dog walked into their lives. They sobbed into his fur and felt unconditional love for the first time in a very long time. A social worker of a different kind paved the way for staff to enter the room and begin working with both of these patients.  A miracle of love. Miracles happen every day, but to be witness to them is always a true gift of love, a blessing. 

Today brings with it nostalgia.  On this cold and gloomy and rainy day, I am wondering what would I have done differently with my life, what would I have changed, what would I have not done or done differently.  First and foremost, I would not have wasted valuable time, effort and energy with people that repeatedly hurt me.  I would have instead fought for what was right and fair and I would  have fought for my self respect.  I would have used that wasted time to make the world a better place. I would have taken more risks for those things and people that really mattered and eliminated those who devoured me much sooner.  

I know that I am on this earth to make the world a better place because of what I do, have done, and will continue to do because of who I am.  It is all about love and the knowledge that there is nothing else.  Too bad more people don't get that.  You can't buy it, exchange it, invent it.  You must live it.  You must love and live with compassion and a genuine sense that deep inside you know that what you are doing is the right thing to do.  Those that offend, lie, cheat, and betray and consistently injure and hurt you, need to just go away.  There is work to be done, lives to be saved, and hearts to mend, not break.

"To make a difference in this world, you must first dare to be different.  When the truth needs to be spoken, when the work needs to be done, when the help needs to be offered...dare to make a difference."
~Hallmark

No comments:

Post a Comment