Sunday, April 4, 2010

PORTALS



"There are angels whose job it is to cause you problems, so you don't fall asleep and miss your life." 


This powerful 'author unknown' quote came to me in an email this morning from another therapy dog addict!  I read it and re-read it and came to the conclusion that perhaps - just perhaps - the portal to life is in the bad times. 

Defined as a 'doorway, entrance, or gate, especially one that is large and imposing,' a portal is something we have the choice of walking through or not.  Not always knowing what is on the other side requires we take a risk.  But I know for a fact that not taking the risk is 100% more risky.  For it is in going through the portal that we find life - the real life we are meant to enjoy. And not going  through that doorway leaves us stuck in quicksand, struggling, and wanting to escape but unable to because of our self imposed restrictive fear. It has taken me a long time to realize this.  Which doesn't mean that when I face a door or gate that beckons me through that I am not afraid.  I am, but I go through it anyway. 

I have been ill for a week. Grumbling, grumpy, and just plain sick of it.  Why?  Because it is a waste of my time.  I have things to do, places to be, appointments that need to be kept.  I am important.  And without my attending to these most important things life will stop.  Or will it?  Analyze that statement and then answer this question, "If I were to die tomorrow what would happen?"  Okay the answer is clear. Life would go on.  The world does not turn because I am alive, no more than it does for you.  So I am taking my time healing, still a little grumpy but getting the message.

This has shown me those that care for me and are here for me in the worst of times and the best of times.  Not the me that works 24 hours a day, but for the real me.  And I have learned to forgive those who aren't here for me and love them anyway.  For they too are drenched in their own bad times and struggling to get through their own portals.

New growth on branches and spring flowers seems to emerge a tiny bit at a time from slumber.  It appears as if  they peak their noses out to test the temperature.  Is it safe to come out?  Is it time?  Is it reverie? Is it time for daydreaming? Is it time to go through the portal?

Veronique Vienne in The Art of the Moment says, "It's like singing in the shower (without getting wet), doodling (without a pad or pencil), and dancing (without moving your feet).  Reverie is what happens when you stop thinking logically and start associating freely."  So today stop thinking logically and think what your life could be like if you opened yourself to life and walk through the door - the gate.  Even if you have to do it as our spring flowers are doing, a tiny bit at a time.
 You will have opened yourself to life - all you have to do is relax, let go and go with the flow.  Reclaim your life the one and only one you have been given.  Aren't you worth it?

So on this Easter Sunday make promise, a prayer, to not fall asleep and miss your life and the pleasure of simply being alive. Offer your heart to life and love in a moment free from need and want. Become lost in life. Do not recoil. The greatest gift you can give to yourself is to accept each second of your life unconditionally and know that passing through the portal will bring you the life you deserve.

Have a blessed Easter.

****************************


210 273 6471















No comments:

Post a Comment