Thursday, December 10, 2009

STUCK IN THE WHY



Over the years I have been witness to an overabundance of emotions from patients, clients, and soldiers alike. Anger, tears, depression, fear, hatred, denial - you name it. But the most frequent emotions are acceptance and courage.

At first this surprised me, but no longer. It is the norm. I have tried to figure out where some people get this courage and some don't ever find it. Perhaps it is that a few people get stuck in the "why" did it happen, "why" me, "why" not someone else. When this happens then the healing gets stuck as well. None of us have the answer to why. And at some point in recovery, it simply doesn't matter. What does matter is getting unstuck and looking toward the future one day, one step at a time.


"Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

Christopher Robin To Pooh

No comments:

Post a Comment