Thursday, July 2, 2020



PERHAPS JUST PERHAPS

Perhaps in saving a rescue dog, we find we save outselves as well!!

I have learned a great deal in the past few months. Rather than go into detail, I will focus here on saving one little dog and how in so doing I was saved as well.

It is no surprise to anyone that we are living through/surviving a kind of hell for the past few months.  For me especially and personally, it has been and remains grim, as I have no family. Friends have their own families and lives and are busy with them, making it doubly difficult for me to face the reality of being alone.  

I am not unaccustomed to this, but this time is something far more isolating than ever before.  I had not at all been certain as how to handle this growing, seemingly unending, isolation.

And then when I least expected it and was certainly not prepared for it, along came Sophie.  A rescue out of Houston, TX with only a few hours prior to being euthanized, her life was about to change. A rescue in San Antonio took her and had her flown into San Antonio by private plane. 

I was on the edge, searching for that one thing that would make me feel good and that would give me pleasure and once again a purpose, even if only for one moment.

It was then I was to meet Sophie. Her rescue brought her to my home for a meet and greet with me, and of course Lady and Rainie. 

I had little to no intention of anything spectacular happening. But one cock of her head and those ears and tender loving, longing eyes, I knew she was to be mine. 

Introducing her to the primary dog residents might be another story. So to the back yard we went.

I let both dogs out not at all sure what to expect but ready for anything.  A few sniffs by all and the deal was sealed.  Lady was so excited she did laps around the yard and much to her surprise jumped into the bird bath! 

From that moment on they are all the best of friends and know their order in the pack.  Each day has been and remains a treasure.  I am not so alone. They love each other and they love me.  What more could I ask for? I have seldom, if ever, known that feeling from a person. 

You see saving a dog sometimes can help you save yourself. 













No comments:

Post a Comment