Friday, July 3, 2020

OFFERINGS


OFFERINGS

SAVING A DOG CAN OFTEN TIMES HELP YOU SAVE YOURSELF

It comes as no surprise to most of you that I know this to be a fact, to be true.

Each dog that has entered my life has done so with a purpose that turned into a gift.

When I have known someone for a long time or perhaps only a few days,  I sense if they are suffering.  I then take my time to put myself in their position. It gives me a much more clear sense and understanding of how I could best help them. 

Having had the first therapy dog in South Texas I can tell in an instant what is needed to help someone in great pain, whether mental or physical.  I watch. I listen. I care.  Caring is the most important of all.  If you don't care, you toss platitudes in their direction and feel satisfied that you did something meaningful.  But did you really?  Was it sincere. Did you put yourself in their shoes of being covered 90% with severe burns, missing all but one limb, etc.? Can you literally feel their pain? 

I have found over the years that every so often, if I stop what I am doing and breathe I begin to notice the world all around me. It is here that I have learned compassion and other virtues that suddenly come with little effort. I have spent the better part of my life doing whatever it is I can do to aleviate someone elses pain.  For I know all too well what that feels like when there is literally no one to help you through the storm. 

I am at a place now where I am reflecting on my journey, primarily my journey with the very ill, the dying, the burn survivors, the blind, the severely injured in combat, the amputees and those trying to survive with the very worse possible post traumatic stress and unending pain from those surviving rape.  The list could go on and on.  But in this journey I have felt totally blessed to be able to be present for those who were reaching out for help and not sure how to do so. I listened.  I heard. I held them as they sobbed for having lost their vision, pride, courage and arms/legs. 

I have been asked multiple times how I could do and do what I have.  My answer was always simple.  "How could I not do it?" I have asked people to join me to visit these people but more times than not they didn't want to 'see'. It would make them uncomfortable or sickened. This is eality.  These are men and women who gave everything to protect us and you can't make the time to see them and say thank you! I do not comprehend.

My therapy dogs ,the first in the state of Texas  in 1986 to now, have shown me the way.  I watched them and learned from them. If they were visiting a veteran with no legs and one arm, it was not a problem.  To my dogs they were just people. It was what they could give at that moment in time.  They saw no differences, they didn't feel sorry or sad or worse yet refuse to interact with that person because they couldn't stand to look at them. When I invited friends to accompany me to visit with the injured troops I would hear, "Oh no, I couldn't look at them.,    or no it is not something I want my children to see." What a tremendous opportunity was missed!

Each therapy dog I have had over the years, has shown me the way and the light to bring to someone else. It is not about me or my dogs.  It is not now, nor ever has been. I can say this in all certainty!

Lately, I have reflected on my journey so far and celebrate every step I have taken. I am blessed, as I have found and pursued my passion. I have listened to the quietest sound from inside my soul!

I implore you to take this time and seize this moment.  What you do or dream of, begin it!! 

Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. ~ Goethe's Faust ~ Translated.

Train yourself to listen with compassion.  I see that seldom in people. I have learned that from their actions and hollow shallow words from every situation in my life. 

Do not try to avoid other's pain and the suffering that accompanies it. Life is a gift and ever day you are given a new day. How can you best use and experience that day?  Help others in pain, deeply and genuinely.    Actions speak louder than words.  Trust me on this my friends, for this I know to be fact!












No comments:

Post a Comment