Thursday, July 16, 2020



 BEING THERE FOR ANOTHER PERSON'S PAIN

When someone is hurting you simply have to be there and say, ''I am here for you.
This is the most precious thing you can offer someone you care deeply for and that is your presence. It is not something you buy. It is something you give of yourself.

The times we are going through are excruciatingly difficult.  Something none of us have ever experienced before.  We don't know how to handle it. We want to do something, but what is it that we can do that will help? 

If you are anything like I am, you awaken in the morning and are shaken by fear, uncertainty and disbelief. We all too often can let that energy take charge of us and harm us. But ultimately that fear and anger will consume us.

So what is it that we can do? I am of the belief that we must focus on creating compassion for those around us and for those hurting, afraid and unsure of what to do.

I live alone and have for decades. No siblings, no husband, a daughter I have not heard from in many, too many years. It is lonely and yes often terrifying.  Sometimes I want is to be held and told it will be alright. But will it?

For decades I have found solace, comfort and love by  providing comfort, peace and understanding to our most severely wounded veterans. From a triple amputee who allowed my golden retriever to snuggle close and tell me it felt so good...to watching as my dog stopped a suicide attempt and brought another out of a coma. 

I am not allowed to continue that passion now. I must wait.  Patience isn't my strong suit as most anyone will tell you.  But I have no choice...most all of us have no choice.  

But we can be there for an other person's pain. We can understand and offer our prayers, our understanding and comfort. And in so doing we find we do have a purpose and a reason for getting up in the morning. 

So today I invite you to tell me what gives you solace and comfort.  Is it in helping those that need help the most, baking cookies for a friend, shopping for a neighbor who is imunocompromised and isolated, or walking your dog in the cool of the morning and breathing in a new day.  Ask yourself, how can I make a difference in someone's life today. At that moment our attitude changes and we can become a small drop of hope for someone who needs it the most.  

Compassion is possible in any situation!!!








No comments:

Post a Comment