Saturday, April 23, 2011

WHO SAVES THE HERO?

"A HERO ~ An ordinary person facing extraordinary circumstances and acting with courage, honor, and self-sacrifice."

I listen.  I listen intently. Not being twenty anymore,  I don't always remember, but I do listen.  I scribble down words on napkins, menus, backs of envelopes, anywhere about comments I hear, signs, things, people, strangers, places, observations, and thoughts.  Today I recall lyrics from 'SAVE THE HERO' with Beyonce.  "Who is there to save the girl after she saved the world? Who is there to save the hero?"

It got me to thinking. I am surrounded by heroes.  Friends, people I love and that love me back, that won't let me down no matter what.  Strangers that smile out of nowhere when I pass them on the street. My Kelsie whose head is resting warm and content on my leg, as I type this morning. The soft breathing of Gracie in her snugly little bed next to my desk, after a day of hunting Easter eggs with wounded warrior's children.  And I am surrounded by people who go out of their way for people they don't even know.  People who pray for a little dog they have never met that is fighting for his life. People who are struggling with him, willing him to live. People who are kind and compassionate and full of joy in giving to others, asking nothing in return.  People who exude the right stuff, the right vibes, the good feelings. People who are not absorbed in themselves and negativity. And I am surrounded by 'our' warriors, who put themselves last, to protect and defend this great nation.

" I believe we need heroes, I believe we need certain people who we can measure our own shortcomings by."
~Richard Attenborough

I am a better person because of the heroes around me.  I totally believe that. From them I have learned compassion, generosity, forgiveness, reconciliation, giving, loving, and self improvement.

Recently I listened as a Stage Four cancer patient on the telephone spoke to me of her deep and abiding love of her animals, "God put these little critters on earth to teach us how to treat each other."  Wow!  I could not agree more. How beautifully the words of this legacy.  I will leave it to you to make of this as you will. Those of you with pets will understand.  And those of you without...well I hope someday you will find your own little critter to teach you how to treat others.

Today on this day before Easter, I invite you to think of who your heroes are.  Who inspires you and motivates you to become a better person?  Who do you give back to willingly without asking anything in return?  When any of us are under hostile fire to whom do we turn?  Heroes don't brag or toot their own horn.  As Jean Rousseau said, "Heroes are not known by the loftiness of their carriage; the greatest braggarts are generally the merest cowards."

So for now, for today TADSAW is there to save a hero, save a warrior.  One at a time.  For that is all we can do.  It is the least we can do.  It is the most we can do.  It is what we must do. 

If you would like to help save a hero please visit http://www.tadsaw.org/ .  Donations are tax deductible and greatly appreciated.  100% goes to save a hero!



HAPPY EASTER AND PASSOVER EVERYONE!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment