Sunday, April 24, 2011

SITTING IN AMAZEMENT

Each Spring for as long as I can remember, the tree ducks fly in like clockwork. When they arrive, you can  almost hear the sound of trumpets, heralding the beginning of a new season.  The neighbors are alerted and phone calls begin.  There is a frenzy created, as eyes peaking out of windows watch for which neighborhood tree  will be blessed with the nesting couple. Here in the middle of suburbia we have ducks nesting in trees.  Not such a big deal to some I suppose, but to us it is.

A few nights ago they landed on my neighbor's roof.  I sat in my back yard, camera focused to record the event.  They stood almost posing for me, their old friend, almost as if to say 'How's it been? Long winter huh?'

As I sat there I  observed, contemplated, and wondered with amazement.  Where had they spent the winter?  How do they consistently find their way back to the same state, city, neighborhood, street, and tree each year?  I had no answers, but only to marvel and be amazed. 

It is mysterious this phenomena. It is my deepest belief that he who cannot sit in amazement and feel this emotion is seriously lacking. Albert Einstein said, "The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious.  It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science.  He who knows it not and can no longer wonder, no longer feel amazement, is as good as dead, a snuffed-out can."  Who am I to disagree?

Today, this Easter Sunday, I invite you to sit in amazement.  Amazement at the smallest details that surround you. Sometimes reality is better than television, movies, and yes, even dreams. Defined as a state of wonderment, surprise or astonishment, amazement is a beautiful thing.  It can be captured in the complex and in the most simplistic.  But don't allow yourself to miss out.  Today be amazed!

Happy Easter.





No comments:

Post a Comment