Monday, February 1, 2010

RAISIN BREAD

Monday morning....tantalizing, hot-out-of-the-oven, raisin bread with the spicy soul satisfying fragrance of cinnamon, resplendent with plump moist raisins.  What could be more appealing on a frigid, thirty one degree South Texas morning with a piping hot cup of hazelnut coffee?  I am sure you know this kind of comfort food that becomes a passion - the kind of food that life is a bore without! 

Well okay I'll 'fess' up, a bakery made the bread!  But the loaf was sitting on my kitchen counter top, on top of the toaster oven, waiting to be toasted, fragrance inhaled, and spread lightly with chocolaty, creamy 'Nutella' and savored before Monday began.  While the coffee was brewing I headed back upstairs to get my journal to make notes for my morning blog.  Needless to say it wasn't where I expected it to be, so I was sidetracked looking for it.  Moments later it appeared, (perhaps because I found my glasses.)  I went back downstairs, with anticipation hanging in the air, to pour my coffee and toast the raisin bread.

Monday's always have a certain reputation.  This one was no exception.  I walked into the kitchen to find my constantly voracious lab, Kelsie, had consumed the entire loaf of raisin bread, less two slices.  Okay, we all know that grapes, given a chance, turn into raisins and both are toxic to dogs, potentially leading to acute renal failure. 


I glanced at the clock to find it was 5:30 am.  Then I remembered one possible way to get a dog to 'purge' is with a couple of tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide.  So I tried it. Two tablespoons "down the hatch." Nothing.  In fact, she seemed to like it! Confirming my suspicions...she is nuts!

So here I stand with my hair heading eighty different directions, jammies on that don't exactly look like they came out of Victoria's Secret, and a dog that just consumed a loaf of raisin bread, looking at me longingly for any signs of preparations for doggie breakfast!  So back upstairs to throw on jeans, find the car keys and off to the emergency pet hospital, in the cold rain with crazy South Texas drivers dodging one crazed woman with a dog about to blow, barf, or die!

Well, I will spare you the gruesome details, suffice it to say the loaf of bread ended up costing me $373.00.   I will also tell you that as fate would have it,  I ran into a dear friend I hadn't seen in years and years at the ER, picking up his pet at 6:45 am.  He took one look at me and did a couple of double takes. See normally I wear jewelry and make up to go to the supermarket or even stay home alone.  This morning it wasn't a pretty sight, with jeans I had torn out of the laundry basket and a dirty gray sweat shirt with Galveston, Texas on it.  A 'Goodwill' style show at best!! So much for my pride!

I tell you this story why?  You know by now that I always try to end with a mission, a moral, a happy ending. Today I am not so sure. 

Perhaps the answer is to take what life hands us with a smile, laugh at ourselves, love our dogs enough to take proper care of them, to not blame ourselves and realize that accidents happen. To understand that we can always make time for those things that really are important to us, and realiize we can always clear our calender when necessary.  We just aren't that important!

And mainly, because I can't for the life of me remember what I had wanted to write about in the first place.

So on this ordinary Monday morning my passion for raisin bread affirmed that the day would not be a bore, and that in each precous moment we are given - grace can be found.

Do you have a filter?  Can you filter out what isn't really necessary, and for just one day find your raisin bread? 

Perhaps you might find that it is in these moments that we are most alive.

**************************

"I thank You God for this most amazing day; for the leaping greenly spirits of trees and a blue true dream of sky; and for everything which is natural which is infinite which is yes."
~ e. e. cummings ~
 
"Today is a new day. You will get out of it just what you put into it.  If you have made mistakes, even serious mistakes, there is always another chance for you. And supposing you have tried and failed again and again, you may have a fresh start any moment you choose, for this thing that we call "failure" is not the falling down, but the staying down."
~ Mary Pickford ~

`'A day dawns, quite like other days; in it, a single hour comes, quite like other hours; but in that day and in that hour the chance of a lifetime faces us.`'
~ Maltbie D. Babcock~


No comments:

Post a Comment