Friday, December 6, 2013

OFTEN TIMES ANSWERS AND HEALING CAN BE FOUND IN THE EYES OF A DOG!

The eyes tell the story. Look deeply into the eyes of your dog.  What do you see?  What do they reflect back to you? Are they telling you a story, or perhaps even which way to go? What to do next or which road to travel. Are they telling you to forget and push the past aside and live for this one moment, the only moment we are guaranteed.

Upon close observation and reflection back to the dogs of my life I have determined that they reflect back to us that which we need to become closely aware of. 
 
I have always been goal oriented.  I have been forced by family and others in my life that to be of any value or worth in this world you have to accomplish something monumental each and every day....something of importance, something tangible and worthy of greatness. No excuses.  Just do it! If you don't, then you are not worthy.
 
I remember in my long ago married life, having to prove myself at each and every turn.  It was the way I grew up.  I knew no other way. I had to be important to make him important. Looking back after a 20 year career on television, I was never really doing what I like to say made my heart sing. I did it because it was what was expected of me.  It was what added worth, value and importance to another, not to me.
It has been a hard characteristic or inbred personality trait to get rid of.  It was built in me from day one.  But slowly I realized that there was much more to life than simply pleasing another for their benefit.  It was time for a change.  Sure I had ups and downs and made mistakes along the way, but for all the speed bumps encountered I believe I have found the ability to at last say 'no'.  No this is not in my best interest.  No you will not treat me like this. No there is no emergency on my part because of your lack of poor planning.  No I will not be taken advantage of anymore. No I will not be yelled at or treated this way anymore.
 
A new energy has opened up inside of me.  I can now open up and share exactly what I am feeling or thinking without fear of abandonment or retribution.  What used to work for me no longer does.
 
I have been insurmountably more sensitive  and  open than I have ever been.  I feel and sense pain in others that I was previously never aware of or concerned with.  It is different and at times uncomfortable, but for the most part taking in the positive energy of a person or situation is allowing me to feel more intense, more alive than ever before. I have found this is where I need to be...where I feel most at home. Negative energy now terrifies me.
 
Many things that once worked for me, no longer do.  The old way is falling away.  And I am keenly aware of the inner guidance, as my heart leads me to someplace new.
 
Yes, storms come and there is lightening and rain, and I find myself frightened and yet delighted at the new me.  Peace is now a place I welcome.  Joy and meaning are tip toeing into my life as I am discovering the person that has been in there all the time, but never allowed to come out and play. 
 
I yearn desperately for joy and laughter and the absence of stress and anxiety.  It is a slow journey.  Here is where dogs come in. 
Dogs have been the one constant in my life!  For as long as I can remember they have dwelled in my heart and home.  Strongly disapproved of by my mother and former husband, I was only able to find comfort in their presence.  With them I didn't have to pretend.  I could be me.  I could be real. Watching them quite simply stimulates me and centers me.  They teach me daily that I don't have to worry and fuss about 'stuff'. They have quite simply taught me what it is like to tip toe into that place called the present moment!!!
 
I find, as I watch people close to me racing and hurrying, it serves no purpose but to make them tense and stressed.  They seldom take time to breathe much less enjoy the journey.  What happened yesterday or tomorrow never enters the mind of a dog.  Only the present moment is important.  The cell phone has become an addiction.  It obliterates all else around people. It has become their lives.  Sure you can reach out and touch someone.  But what about reaching out and enjoying the moment and the person you are with.  It is then and in that place that the real magic begins!!! Sitting with your dog on a warm day on a hillside or your living room sofa is all that is necessary.  It is a place of peace and tranquility.   With my dogs by my side I have been able to go deeper into my journey and deeper into my joy and subsequently deeper into my heart, mending and healing all the broken places.

And for our warriors and those struggling with the aftermath of war, going deeper and once again finding your happiness will at first lead you deeper into your pain, your grief and losses.  But don't be afraid.  This doesn't meant you will live forever in this grief and loss.  It takes time to heal and mend the broken places and put them in perspective. In many cases you have to bury these cracked places and dreams, as you release the hurt.  But in so doing you will go deeper inside and help yourself heal. With a dog by your side you can slowly find that, with love, you have, almost without knowing, healed places you never thought you could.  You will find a freedom to once again join this earth. 
 
With a dog by your side, as you look into his/her eyes, you will find the real magic is about to begin.
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment: