Tuesday, December 3, 2013

NOTHING IS MUNDANE

"I think one of the things I love most about photography is that it often elevates the mundane. When you stop a moment, and preserve it forever, and take the care to frame it, light it, and chose one moment over another, you effectively tell the world – or anyone who cares enough to look at your work; Look at this! And if, even in these mundane moments of life, we find something worth looking at, worth showing the world, then we’re effectively saying,
Nothing is mundane." ~ David du Chemin
 
I have a facebook friend.  A young lady who has PTSD.  She struggles, copes, cries, hides, creeps out of isolation and tries again.  She loves rocks, polished stones, and shells found on a beach. These bring her peace.  She shared with me about a stone that resides in her pocket everyday to reach for in times of anxiety, fear or stress.
 
I too have always loved stones and shells and never really given it much thought.  The only tangible  thing remaining in my life to remind me of my father is a rock.  A malachite rock that rested on his desk in his law practice.  I was left nothing else but that rock and memories. 

Yesterday I posted on facebook small photographs of things that are on my desk.  Things that bring me joy, peace, serenity, and things that center me.  As people wrote back it was abundantly clear that there was nothing celebratory on their desks but dust and paperwork. Nothing that brings them clarity, joy and peace.

On my desk one of my favorite things is a rock.  I hold onto this rock while on the phone.  It is cool to the touch and warms slightly as I continue to hold it.  Its oval shape fits perfectly in the palm of my hand.  I often cradle it in both hands and feel the coolness and the strength it offers, as I try to make a decision or find the right words.  Some how it centers me and reminds me no matter what, I too am a part of this earth, just as  surely as the rock is.
 
I love this quote. "Stones have the oldest knowledge.  They spend a lot of time looking up at the sky.  We should not take the stones that are still partly in the ground because that means they haven't decided to come into our world yet.  Choose a stone that speaks to you and show it respect."  ~Author Unknown 

I suspect some of you might find this a bit bizarre.  But having things I love and cherish on my desk brings light into an often all too tedious and benign place. Everything is about connection. We are meant to explore the ways in which everything fits with everything else.
 
On my desk you will also find a white duck feather, a sand dollar, a bronze sculpture of a tiny dog, a deep purple amethyst rock, and two rocks from a church at the base of the millions of years Red Rocks in Sedona.  These too are memories, things that center me and sometimes often times pull me back from the edge. 
 

I also have a collection of crystal paper weights from various places I have loved.  They top piles of paper, as well as bills, to do lists, way past due to do lists, someday lists and wish lists. They are beautiful.  I love them. They pull me into them sometimes when I need a break from stress and the cruel reality of some days. As each pile is tackled and removed, the rocks and paperweights remain.  Ready to be present for their next assignment, whether pleasurable or lifesaving. 

This must say something about me.  What I am not certain.  But it bares exploration. 

What is on your desk?  What can you sit and glance over at and find peace?  What brings back a special time in your life that resides only inches from your computer? A miniature holiday you can take in your busy work day.

Maybe the reason for these 'personal' treasures on my desk is summed up by Piglet, "Pooh, whispered Piglet. "Yes, Piglet?" said Pooh.  "Oh, nothing."  sand Piglet.  "I just wanted to be sure of you."

Perhaps this is all any of us want ~ to just be sure of something or someone. My desk treasures do just this.  They center me, make a mundane place less mundane and remind me of exactly who I am, what I represent and what I hope to mean to others. Nothing is mundane!  Absolutely nothing!






 

No comments:

Post a Comment