Tuesday, September 3, 2013

WHAT EXACTLY IS ADEQUATE? A blog just for fun!

What exactly does adequate mean?  When someone says something is adequate does it mean it is less than it should be or not quite right or it could be better?  I love the word.  It is my word.  It is a word that doesn't get me in trouble.  It is a questionable word to many.  If you say something is 'adequate' do they scratch their chin and wonder what is wrong with it or do they assume you are not happy with it, or do they see it as a positive? Do they see it as something that is okay but needs improvement. It can be a bad word or a good word, it all depends on perception!

Examples of ADEQUATE


  1. The garden hasn't been getting adequate water.
  2. The food was more than adequate for the six of us.
  3. The school lunch should be adequate to meet the nutritional needs of growing children.
  4. The machine does an adequate job.
  5. The tent should provide adequate protection from the elements.
  6. The quality of his work was perfectly adequate.
  7. Your grades are adequate but I think you can do better.
  8. The quality of his work was only adequate.
  9. Then, during the spring and summer, allow adequate recovery by taking one or two days off the bike each week and scaling back the intensity of your rides one week out of every month. —Selene Yeager, Bicycling, January/February 2008
 
*****
 
Synonyms
acceptable, all right, decent, fairish, fine, good, OK (or okay), passable, respectable, satisfactory, serviceable, tolerable, up to snuff
Antonyms
deficient, inadequate, insufficient, lacking, unacceptable, unsatisfactory, wanting
 

1 comment:

  1. Good read, I don't ask people "How are you?" unless I actually want to know. I could ask more people but the fear of actually getting a long dramatic answer repels me. Sorry my grammar and punctuation is always so... I'll let you say.. 'adequate'. ;) Kind of a fun post, I like it.

    ReplyDelete