Tuesday, May 1, 2012

PLOTTING THE DESTRUCTION OF OTHERS

Those who plot the destruction of others often perish in the attempt.”
Thomas Moore




The cashier at the Island Food Store on Mustang Island presented a dark tan and weathered expression and demeanor.  But when he smiled, he smiled from ear to ear, as I was checking out. Some teeth were missing, but he didn't care, nor did I.
I love to engage clerks, as most customers are too busy on their cell phones to even notice there is a real live person only steps away. A person with a life, with a family, with a job and with their own problems and they might just need a smiling face and a little conversation to brighten their day.
As this clerk rang up my purchases, I told him that he seemed to be so happy and in such a good mood, and that it was nice to see a smiling face.  His response I hold close to this day, "Being angry doesn't make it any better."

He who angers you conquers you. ~Elizabeth Kenny


Sometimes we find that life comes out of dark places and angry people.  Sometimes it isn't pleasant and down right sad and ridiculous the extent to which some people will go to to 'win', to hurt, to injure.  The lies that are told, the repercussions, the way they want to hurt you.  But to indulge them is all too often, allowing them to win. And what this does is that it takes away your time, energy and passion to indulge their foolishness when you could be spending your time with the greater graces of comfort and perseverance, mercy and forgiveness.

Then consider what would happen if no shadows ever fell over our lives.  Would it be as sweet?  Would the wonders be as glorious?  Would our laughter and smiles be as heartfelt? Would we love as deeply?
I doubt it.

So then what do we do when the beast comes out of the darkness to harm us?  Do we get white knuckles and wrestle it to the floor?  Or do we turn and say we want no part of their anger and foolishness and that we truly feel sorry for them and walk away?  I know what I do.  What do you do?

I cherish the days of crazy grace and go to the garden and brush against the rosemary bushes and inhale the fragrance of the blooming oregano.  I gently guide the mandavilla throught the pickets of the garden fence with the jasmine. I sit and listen to the doves cooing in the trees above my head, waiting for me to leave so they can splash joyfully in the stone bird bath.  I watch with glorious delight as a butterfly lands on my sleeve.  I thank God for the people in my life that love me, and I wish those that don't farewell.  I do not have the time to waste on superficial relationships, based on others needs, expectations, and requirements.  But I do have time to walk in my garden and find baby bird eggs shells on the ground and watch my dogs lie basking in the sun with no cares in the world. Now this is what bears my attention!


 
Speak when you are angry and you will make
the best speech you will ever regret.
-- Ambrose Bierce




No comments:

Post a Comment