Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A PLACE CALLED PEACE

I suppose everyone longs to be listened to...to be heard. We try to find the right words to convey what is in our hearts and in our guts. We struggle to be understood. Sometimes it doesn't work. These are the times we need to be heard the most. When we are tired. When we hurt. When we are lost. When we simply need someone's arms around us to let us know we are loved and that they understand.


Sometimes there is a deep longing for a place called peace. Today I can't find it.

I suppose when it comes right down to it, we are all alone a great deal of the time. There are those times of struggle when we reach out for help and there is no one there to catch us as we are falling.  These are scary times.  But if we're lucky, sometimes the road rises to meet us and we continue the march. 

"When we speak from the heart, we long for an ear to hear us, and we all have experienced that down feeling when we perceive ourselves as written off or misunderstood."

~ Harriet Lerner

I am knee deep in  "LONE SURVIVOR" by Navy Seal Marcus Luttrell.  The eyewitness account of Operation Redwing and the lost hereos of Seal Team 10. It is a rivoting narrative of heroism and endurance against impossible odds. The harrowing account of survival in the mountains of Afghanistan, surrounded by hundreds of Taliban rebels.

On today the eve of Veteran's Day, I think of those warriors who come home a different person.  Come home to a family who expects them to be the same as when they left.  This is not feasible.  This is not reality.  They have faced reality head on. They have faced death and hell head on.  For this I thank them and say to them, "I hear you."

I quote Marcus Luttrell in his final chapter of the book, NEVER FORGET"My days are relentless.  I think about Afghanistan hourly, playing the scenario over and over in my head until I am on the verge of insanity.  I would give anything to have my friends back and life the way it used to be - seeing their faces, hearing their voices, and hell even the way they smell.  I know that it may sound trivial to a lot of people, but it's the little things that I miss the most about all of them.  It was my greatest honor to serve with these men on and off the battlefield.  They died doing what they loved, protecting this great country of ours, and in my eyes there is no greater sacrifice than that."

To all of our veterans and current military in harm's way on this day before Veteran's Day...we are here, we are thinking of you, praying for you, and we know that first and foremost you have our backs.  Thank you for your service and your sacrifices.  You are not, nor ever will be, forgotten!

I hear you and I am listening. My wish to you all is that you find your special place of peace.






John Amos ~ Rest in Peace





No comments:

Post a Comment