Thursday, November 11, 2010

VETERAN'S DAY 2010

Veteran's Day 2010 

"Those who are lifting the world upward and onward are those who encourage more than criticize."
~Elizabeth Harrison

" There are people who take the heart out of you, and there are people who put it back."
~Elizabeth David

Today I awoke thankful to be an American.  Thankful to have our military protecting us.  Thankful for those who have given all so that we have the freedoms we have. 

I thought of the two years I spent in Seoul, Korea. If anything were to have changed my life completely, it was my time there.  It was here that my eyes and my heart opened.  The DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) wasn't far away, and it was an eye opener. 

We lived in a 13 floor apartment building on the economy, not post housing.  The electricity went out daily. Water had to be carried up 13 flights of stairs by our housemaid, Miss Kim.  Carried it in a bucket on her head, so that we might flush the commode.  I thought of the roaches and rats we had to trap everyday in the kitchen.  I thought of the Korean military police who stood outside our apartment door armed with machine guns every time there was a Korean soccer match in the stadium directly below us, to protect the President of Korea from being assassinated.  We couldn't come or go.  If there was a breach at the DMZ we were locked in our apartment in the dark for hours and sometimes days until it was safe to leave.  I remember standing on the beaches where General McCarthy had stood.  I remember what it was to have my freedom taken away. 

I wonder how many Americans have any idea how grateful they should be to our military in harm's way at this very moment, so that we may begin making preparations for Thanksgiving dinner with friends and family. I wonder if Americans feel the depth and intensity of other family's grief when this Thanksgiving one of their sons, or daughters, or husbands, or brothers or fathers won't be at the table. I wonder if they have ever looked into the vacant emotionless face of a wounded warrior returning from the hell of war to find himself or herself void of emotion and living in constant fear.  I wonder.

Upon leaving Seoul and arriving in Hawaii, the culture shock was horrific.  We were there three weeks to get our bearings, before returning to the continental United States.  Arriving tan and healthy looking, nobody could know that we were not the same family that had left.  Nor would we ever be.  It changes you.  It can't be helped. Lives change dramatically.

Today I honor our military.  I respect our military.  The courage of these young men and women is overwhelming.  I wish you could see it, feel it, absorb it and take it into your heart.  With them my heart bursts with sadness, happiness, and pride all at the same time.

************

Today I ask if you are living a life of action or reaction

I ask you to help us support our wounded warriors returning to us with the demons of PTSD.  Our TADSAW (Train a Dog ~ Save a Warrior) Support/Service dogs are making a difference. 
Our military tell us everyday. 
The need is huge and the demand growing daily as the word spreads. 

****************

 "This dog has made all the difference in my life.  I can go to my kids soccer games. I can drive to the store. Every soldier with PTSD could benefit from a Support/Service Dog."

Your generous tax deductible contribution can be sent to:
PENNY'S FROM HEAVEN FOUNDATION, INC./TADSAW
13421 BLANCO ROAD ~ SUITE 218
SAN ANTONIO, TX 78216

PAYPAL ACCEPTED

THIS HOLIDAY SEASON CONSIDER GIVING THE GIFT OF A SUPPORT/SERVICE DOG CONTRIBUTION IN HONOR OF A FRIEND OR RELATIVE FOR A CHRISTMAS GIFT.

THIS WOULD BE A GIFT THAT WOULD KEEP ON GIVING IN THE LIFE OF ONE OF OUR MILITARY.  IMPROVING THE QUALITY OF LIFE HAS NO PRICE TAG!



No comments:

Post a Comment