Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A PINK MOUSE THAT SAVED THE DAY

Don't try to guide someone with your words,
encourage the awakening of their spirit through your actions.

~Garnet Emerald~


I hope that is what I am doing.  I try to.  I aim to.  I try to wake people up to the wonders of their lives.  Yet sometimes in the process, others try to inhibit my every action in word and deed and yes venom. But to them I say a hasty goodbye.  You have not been worth my while. 

There are those who appreciate and understand and comprehend and grasp, and more importantly, need what I have to offer.

This morning I am reminded of a true story when my little blind therapy dog, Gracie, and I were at a rehab hospital  for our weekly work.  We were met at the front door by a therapist who appeared to be in a situation with a family member of patient.  She asked if Gracie and I could visit with her in a private office.  I had no idea what the problem was, nor what I was about to face when I opened the door.  But as we were lead down the hall, a calm came over me, and I was prepared for whatever I might find on the other side of that door.

We opened the door and inside was dark except for a small table lamp softly lit.  A woman sat in the dark crying softly.  She looked up and the only thing she saw in this room was my little blind Gracie.  She reached out to her, and with a huge inhalation of breath, she whispered soulfully one word...'Ooooh.'  I guide Gracie to her outreached hands and she cradled her precious little head in her hands. 

I quietly introduced Gracie to her and told her she was not able to see her but knew that perhaps she was needed.  And needed she was.  I explained Gracie was a blind therapy dog and was here to offer comfort.  Since there was no one else in the room, I removed the leash, and Gracie placed her front paws on the ladies knees.  Soon they were forehead to forehead with no words being uttered. 

Gracie jumped down purposefully and went to her bag that I carry all of her equipment and supplies in for rehab.  She sniffed and nuzzled and nudged and finally emerged from the bottom of the bag with a pink stuffed mouse with grey ears.  She carried it to the lady's lap and gently placed it there.  She was not asking her to throw it, she was quite simply providing her an offering, her most treasured toy.  Perhaps hoping to console her, perhaps unable to know what else to do, or perhaps simply understanding...mouse was offered. A quiet smile appeared on this face stained with tears. 

The therapist returned and I gave a complete stranger a hug and Gracie jumped up for one final kiss on the top of her little furry head. 

So to those who malign me, my work, my actions, I have nothing to say.  It is only important that I know what I do is valuable and necessary and done with love and kindness. 

And it is only important that I remember the story of the pink mouse and the peace and love with which it was presented by a little blind dog named Gracie.




No comments:

Post a Comment