Monday, March 21, 2011

CHOICES

The risk of a wrong decision is preferable to the terror of indecision.
- Maimonides

 Choices!  We made hundreds a day.  When to get up. What to eat.  What to wear. What route to take to work. Whether to be happy or sad.  How to respond to a situation.  Right choices, wrong choices, life choices, simple choices, grueling choices.

Ironically, sometimes our choices are only a choice of attitude. And then sometimes as Robert Fritz said, “If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is compromise.” 

"Life is change. Growth is optional.  Choose wisely."

I guess we all have the choice that if it snows, we can shovel or make snow angels!  Which would you do?

William James hit the nail on the head, "“When you have to make a choice and don't make it, that is in itself a choice.”  Think about it.  How often do you not know the right road to take and simply choose status quo. So yes, making no choice is a choice!

All of this got me to thinking.  I have lived long enough to know that to choose those people to have around me who inspire me, enlighten me, make me laugh, support me, encourage me, and allow me to do the same for them are those I want relationships with.  Those that are deceitful, dishonest, angry, grumpy, always negative, and pull me down are dispensible and quite simply waste my time! 

It is in this place that you will make quality choices.  Choose life.  Choose happiness.  Choose faith.  Choose to live your life to the best of your ability.  Choose to let others live their lives the way they choose.  You don't have to agree and you don't have to be dragged down by them. Simply let them go. I am who and what I am today, by the choices that I made yesterday. Some good, some not so good.  Some I regret, but not for long, for that too is a waste of time.  For with each choice I have learned.  With each choice, I have grown.  For it is in our ability to choose that we find we truly are human. It is the choices that we make, not the chances that we take, that determine your our life's direction.

“One's philosophy is not best expressed in words; it is expressed in the choices one makes ... and the choices we make are ultimately our responsibility.”
~Eleanor Roosevelt

Today I make a choice to be positive, to be honest, to be whole, to be present this day, this hour, this minute to the joy and beauty around me.
****************
“It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities.”
~Joanne Kathleen Rowling



No comments:

Post a Comment