Thursday, February 24, 2011

THIS IS IT

 Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking.

~Marcus Aurelius


My father, ages and ages ago, was addicted to Aurelius' writings.  I remember him sitting in his 'easy' chair engrossed in this fraying navy blue book. Occasionally, he would toss his head back as if asleep, but now I realize he was thinking, reflecting, absorbing. Of the very few things I have remaining of his, except some memories, is this worn and weathered copy of Marcus Aurelius' Meditations. My dad could not have left me anything more valuable or anything more that has impacted my life and who I am as a person. 

Aurelius was Roman Emperor from 161-180 and is today considered still one of the most important stoic philophers in history. I so wish my father were here to discuss this philosophy with me.  For in reviewing his works, I find this is how I conduct my thinking, my life, my business, and my heart.

Confine yourself to the present.
~Marcus Aurelius

Dig within. Within is the wellspring of Good; and it is always ready to bubble up, if you just dig.

~Marcus Aurelius

Everything that happens happens as it should, and if you observe carefully, you will find this to be so.
I have often wondered how it is that every man loves himself more than all the rest of men, but yet sets less value on his own opinions of himself than on the opinions of others.
~Marcus Aurelius

 

It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.
 ~Marcus Aurelius

Nothing much has changed has it?  Centuries and centuries later. I think about this this morning for some unknown purpose.  But most assuredly the answer will surface.  I miss my father this morning, as well.  He left this earth forty years ago. This morning he surrounds me.

My house is a shambles.  Remodeling, renovating, removing, repairing.  Dust, memories, and 'stuff' congretate on every flat surface, bringing the past alive again. I have no appliances to cook on or in.  I have no cares.  I am blessed.  I am happy.  Why?  Because I am alive.  I am living a great life where, by my efforts and those affiliated with and around me, we are all working our best to change the quality of lives of others.  I guess this is all one can hope for.  A messy house, a great deal of love, a passion undying, a little dust, and a dog at our feet.

Before the workmen arrive once again, please review the grand philosophy of Marcus Aurelius and go out into the world today and shine and dance and breathe in deeply.  For this is it! 




 

 





 





 














~Marcus Aurelius

No comments:

Post a Comment