Friday, June 18, 2010

WHEN THE WALLS COME DOWN

It doesn't happen often, but when the walls come down, life begins. 

A quote recently presented to me by a Pockets of Peace blog reader goes like this, 'You seize the opportunity, when you seize the opportunity."  It seems like everyday, in everyway, we have opportunities presented to us.  Whether we accept them depends on multiple things- timing, persuasion, mood, occasion, prospect, opening, possibility, probability, chance, ability, likelihood, or perhaps the moon being in alignment!  Who knows?  What I do know is that if we don't seize the opportunity, it is most likely, lost to us for good.

Yesterday, to get out of one of my infrequent states of depression, I watched Mama Mia with Meryl Streep.  'Rosie' singing Take a Chance on Me kept playing and reverberating in my head. You know the song that you hear once and can't get it out of your mind. 

"If you change your mind
I'm the first in line
Honey, I'm still free
Take a chance on me
If you need me let me know
Gonna be around
If you've got no place to go
When you're feeling down
If you're all alone
Honey I'm still free
Take a chance on me."

Taking chances - taking the walls down!  Then and only then will you be able to open your heart and acknowledge the life that lies waiting.

"To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end of life."
~Robert Louis Stevenson

We don't have all the answers, and we can never be assured of the outcome.  But if we don't take the chance, take the walls down, and take the risk, we just might have everything to lose.  Albert Einstein said, "The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious."  There is little doubt that the difficult times I have endured and lived through have helped me to understand better than ever before how infinitely delicious and rich and exquisite life is in everyway.  And that the many things we worry about are of little to no importance whatsoever.

According to Julia Cameron, "Culturally, we are trained to worry.  We are trained to prepare for any negative possibility.  The news tutors us daily in the many possible catastrophes available to us all.  Is it any wonder that our imaginations routinely turn to worry?" 

None of us are beyond fear.  But you know what? Some of the most terrified people I have ever met are some of the greatest.  They have achieved by walking through their fears.  Not running away from them. 

Sometimes we are afraid and sometimes we are afraid of fear, and then sometimes there is absolutely nothing that will stop us from jumping over, around, or through that wall that shuts us off from the life we deserve. Such is life for me right now.  And sometimes we know that we know that we know.  So for me the walls are coming down and fear is a blip on the radar screen.  No longer will I be blind to possibility. 

Lucius Cary, said, "When it is not necessary to change, it is necessary not to change." 

But oh when it is, the world becomes exquisite and luscious.


No comments:

Post a Comment