Thursday, September 30, 2010

THE BOLDEST CHEERLEADER


"He has taught me the meaning of devotion.  With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace.  He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant.  His head on my knee can heal my human hurts.  His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things.  He has promised to wait for me, whenever, wherever, in case I need him.  And I expect I will, as I always have.  He is my dog."
~Unknown

In everything that happens to us there is always that one person who is our boldest cheerleader. When we get stuck in the 'why, our road to healing also gets stuck.  We all need a cheerleader, someone who believes in us and can help us get unstuck.  It is then that we discover the wings of friendship, as together we dig deep through the loneliness and sorrows and stresses of life.  This is no different from the bond between a wounded warrior and his dog.

"What a difference you've made in my life.  You're my sunshine day and night...you replaced all the broken parts...what a change you have made in my heart...what a difference you've made in my life..."
Amy Grant

Cloudy genetics aren't an issue. Fine qualities are.  Sensitive, people-focused and hyper-observant dogs are qualities that are looked for in a potential PTSD Support Dog.  We look for dogs who are able to untie the invisible threads that knot our wounded warriors.  Multi-dimensional dogs, if you will.  Not bad qualities for pound puppies! Our warriors want to rescue something and rescuing they are, as their future PTSD Support Dogs are being saved from kill shelters.  These are dogs who ultimately must remain highly obedient, calm, and unfailingly predictable in situations that can get chaotic in seconds. 

Often our warriors returning home go from the battlefield one day to McDonalds the next.  Perhaps, just perhaps, rescuing a shelter dog to rescue a soldier is part of the answer to reintegration. Train a Dog - Save a Warrior! 
"It is a curious thing in human experience but to live through a period of stress and sorrow with another person creates a bond which nothing seems able to break."
~Eleanor Roosevelt

***********

Please consider helping us help a warrior, by sponsoring a PTSD Support Dog rescued from the dog pound.

For information please call:
210 273 6471

http://www.pennysfromheavenfoundation.org/
http://www.tadsaws.org/  (under construction)







No comments:

Post a Comment